I developed this beet & feta dip recipe because I wanted to have something to snack on with a glass of wine during the holiday season that wouldn’t have me veering completely off course with my diet renovation. It was a perfect way to consume about three pounds of veggies in one sitting. Dipping veggies into a creamy dip makes raw veggie eating much more enjoyable. Just saying.
Beets – one of nature’s great detoxifiers. They pack a whollop of nutrients, even when mixed with feta cheese & sour cream. The wild color of the dip will certainly be a talking point & be noticed if you decide to take the dip along to a party which I strongly suggest you do. If people are a little trepidatious at trying it, then have a bet with them. Because once they do try, they will love it & you’ll win the bet.
I used hemp seed oil in the dip then sprinkled some hulled hemp seeds over the dip just before I served it. Then I served a little dish of them on the side because I liked dipping a piece of veggie into the dip then into the seeds. Hemp seeds have a slight nutty flavor, in case you’ve never tried them. Hemp seeds are touted as the most nutritious seeds in the world. They’re packed with protein, essential fatty acid, amino acids, high in fiber, low in calories & starch. Hemp oil is delicate & it’s nutrient-giving powers can be destroyed with high heat so I’m adding the oil to salad dressings, dips & other things that require little if no cooking.
As with so many of my recipes, the beet dip can be made ahead of time & is a synch to throw together. I’m having it for lunch today with a plate of veggies. I’m sure it’ll come out again tonight during the cocktail hour when my hubby gets home. He isn’t a big beet fan but he tried the dip last night & said he really liked it. Make it & try it for yourself & let me know what you think.
- 16 oz (450g) jar sliced pickled beets, drained, reserving 2 tablespoons of liquid
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (the better the cheese, the better the dip, can use sheep or goat feta too)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt or use sheep yogurt like I often do)
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hemp (or olive) oil, plus 1 teaspoon extra
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds (or toasted sesame seeds), plus extra for dipping if desired
- assorted veggies to serve – carrots, radishes, green onions, celery, fennel, bell peppers & cucumbers
- Place beets, reserved beet juice, feta, sour cream, tahini, juice, oil, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper in a food processor bowl; process until smooth.
- Spoon dip into serving bowl. Drizzle with extra oil, sprinkle with seeds. Serve dip with veggies & extra seeds in a small bowl.