This recipe for grilled eggplant with Moroccan lamb, pomegranate & herb yogurt, was inspired by Dr. Michael Mosley’s – The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet. And although I’ve not made the recipe from his book, the ingredients in the title of his recipe inspired me – lamb, eggplant & pomegranate. I gave a bit of a Moroccan flair to my recipe and, putting all modesty aside, the result was outstanding. I got so excited about this recipe I decided it will be one of the first recipes shown on my You Tube channel in the coming weeks. That’s how good it is.
My hubby & I have been working hard on putting the intro together for the upcoming cooking videos on my You Tube channel. We’ve been lurking around the roof of the airport parking garage getting footage & audio of planes taking off. Parked up on the roof right near the control tower yet again, I was worried someone was going to call security & was going to have to explain to them the significance of what planes taking off & landing had to do with making cooking videos. I can’t wait for the intro to be finished & we can get going on the cooking videos.
Through my cooking videos I’m not only excited to share my dieting progress with everyone but I hope to inspire others to start on their own weight loss journey. I’ve had challenges, what diet doesn’t come with challenges, but I pressed through them instead of completely caving in like I’ve done in the past. Eating real food with lots of bold flavors, such as this grilled eggplant with Moroccan lamb, certainly has helped. Looking forward to a good meal, helps me keep on track. I’m struggling with the absence of wine but that’s not forever. And I’ve proven to myself I have much more resolve than I give myself credit for.
The recipe starts by cooking up some ground lamb with garlic, onion & warm spices such as cumin, ginger & cinnamon. A little heat is added with harissa (North African chili paste), a little sweetness with a touch of honey & freshness from the vibrant herbs – cilantro & mint. Eggplant slices are grilled, either on an outdoor barbie or, like I did, on a grill pan inside. This is assembled on a platter or individual plates then topped with herb yogurt & pomegranate seeds. Serve it casually having the eggplant slices languishing about the platter or stacked on individual plates like this pretty pic shows:
I’ve just got back from a bike ride & I’m feeling quite virtuous. I didn’t go early this morning, postponing my ride for lunch time. Rarely does that work for me. I’m a ‘get the exercise over with early in the day’ kind of girl. I was glad I went though. I burned over 300 calories, got a bit sun-kissed & saw some sort of take-down with three police cars zooming down the bike trail past me, then uniformed & plain clothes cops heading into the bush right by where I ride. All quite dramatic for a lovely sunny, 78 degree day & an enjoyable bike ride. My first thought was maybe airport security had tracked me down.
I forgot to weigh myself on my usual days last week. Ugh, last week…what a nightmare, no wonder I forgot. I’ll weigh-in this week & report back on my weight loss. I know I’ve lost more weight because a bra that was too small for me & I couldn’t wear without feeling like a bull strapped up at a rodeo, is now comfortable on me. Sorry, TMI I know but I did tell you I was going to share this journey. Until next time, eat healthy, you’re worth it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing on eggplant
- 1 lb (453g) lean ground lamb
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons harissa or sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 20 oz (566g) eggplant, cut into 3/8-inch (1cm) slices
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- mint and cilantro (coriander) leaves, for garnish
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb 7 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add onion, garlic and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in harissa, ginger, cinnamon and cumin. Cook, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in stock and honey. Reduce heat to medium, low. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Combine mint and cilantro in a small bowl. Add half to lamb mixture; stir.
- Add yogurt, juice and salt to remaining herbs; stir to combine. Chill until ready to use.
- While lamb is cooking, brush eggplant slices with a little oil. Cook on hot grill pan or on hot, greased barbecue grill, 2 to 3 minutes each side or until grill marks appear.
- To assemble, arrange eggplant slices on a platter or individual serving plates, top with lamb mixture. Dollop yogurt mixture over lamb. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, mint, cilantro and lemon wedges.