Yes, another blackberry recipe. This time a salad – blackberry & chicken sausage salad. This recipe was so good, we decide to include it on The Fresh Aussie YouTube cooking channel as one of our quickie videos. I love the contrasting textures & flavors of this salad – slices of crisp apple; tart, dried cranberries; creamy sheep feta; crunchy, toasted almonds; juicy blackberries & smoky, sweet sausages all atop of fresh baby salad greens. Then it’s drizzled with maple balsamic vinaigrette with a little heat from the sweet hot mustard. This salad has now gone into our make-often repertoire – a much revered list.
I wanted to use fresh sausages when I made this recipe but couldn’t find them here in the US of A. If I had the dollars, I’d open a sausage store here. I make them myself every now & then. In Australia & England you can buy good, fresh sausages from supermarkets, butchers & farm stores. When it comes to meat, fresh sausages are my absolute favorite. Instead I used smoked chicken & apple sausages from Costco. No nitrates, gluten or hormones. They’re about $13 & because it’s Costco, you get about 960 of them. Joking! You get about 15. They’re good. And because they’re smoked, that means they’re already cooked. I’ve also eaten these for lunch with poached eggs, avocado & tomato – also yummy. If you’re a Costco lover like me, check them out next time you’re there. They’re over by the cheeses – another great thing to buy at Costco.
Berries – loaded with antioxidants, low cal, low glycemic index, great for cooking & snacking. When in season like they are here now, I try to include them in my daily diet.
I’m happy to report I’ve lost another kilo – 2.2 lbs to be exact. Although this weekend has been awash. I blame my husband. He’s got broad shoulders, he can be the scapegoat. Sunday to Thursday I’m pretty good then Friday rocks around & it all goes to hell. I know I’m not alone in this dilemma. I like to hang out with my hubby & eat & drink. Sadly it’s not conducive to losing weight. Each week I give myself a couple of things to work at. Last week it was crawling out of bed at the same time each morning & exercising. Check & check! This week it’s not letting it all turn to shit come the weekend & reducing portions sizes (as well as maintaining my two goals from the week before).
Setting small, manageable goals can achieve greatness. So I’m focusing on this week & how to make it one I can be satisfied with when the same time next week rolls around. Stick with it whatever your goals & dreams are – never lose sight. You’ve got this!
- MAPLE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sweet hot mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- pinch salt & freshly ground pepper
- BLACKBERRY & CHICKEN SAUSAGE SALAD
- 3 smoked chicken & apple sausages (or cooked fresh sausages), sliced
- 4 cups spring mix
- 1 medium apple, halved, cored & sliced (I used a crunchy gala apple)
- 1 cup blackberries
- 6 thin sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or cherries)
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (I used a creamy sheep feta I bought at Costco)
- To make the vinaigrette: Place all ingredients in a jar with a screw-top lid; shake well to combine.
- To make the salad: Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced sausage.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until slices are lightly browned; cool slightly.
- Divide spring mix between 2 plates. Top with apple, blackberries, sausage, onion & cranberries. Drizzle with dressing.
- Top with almonds & feta.