We’ve all said it – “I’ll start my diet when _____ (insert here whatever occurrence is happening in your future life)”. It could be: You’ll start your diet after your friend has visited. Maybe after your birthday. Christmas. Winter. The list of excuses is endless. I know because I’ve got the War & Peace equivalent of excuses. Many of them probably match closely to yours. Or do you use a special day (like Friday) to throw caution to the wind & eat as though it’s free pass? It’s not. If you think like that there’s always going to be an excuse & you’ll put on more weight. Thinking this way is detrimental. Moderation. Always. You’re in control, remember that. With Mother’s Day in Australia and here in America this Sunday I thought I’d post a treat. A “token treat” lets call it. Cherry hemp chocolate clusters. You’re like – seriously Lovoni, where’s the over-the-top dessert? Nope, not happening.
These little delights tick all the boxes – chewy, crunchy, sweet, a little bitter & the ingredients are wholesome. Plus they’re homemade so you know what’s in them. Having said that they’re still calories. Two of these is about 160 calories. So make them for a special occasion, like Mother’s Day, & share them. This is better for you than a gooey cake, a packaged dessert or even pancakes.
These cherry hemp chocolate clusters are easy to make & they’re make ahead. And whether people are dieting or not, they’ll love them. When I first tested this recipe several weeks ago I thought I could make something like these & keep them in a jar in the fridge, not thinking about them until I was craving something sweet after lunch & dinner. I was wrong…
A couple of days later they were all gone *hangs head in shame*. I made them again to photograph them. This time I was determined to make them last. Wrong again. If I don’t have calorie-laden treats in my fridge or cupboard, I won’t go to a store & buy them. But, if they’re there, then I know they’re there & it bothers me until I eat them & they’re gone & I vow to start again. Self sabotage. It sucks. It’s also the reason why I generally only post fresh, savory meals on here. I cannot have food in the house that’s not beneficial to me losing weight. It might sound weak. To me it’s smart. You be smart too okay?!
Part of this journey is being honest with myself & approaching this weight loss experience realistically & sensibly. This has proven challenging for I’m neither a realist or sensible. Each day I persist though because I know I’m about to turn a corner. I can feel that all the parts are about to fall into place. Lots of trial & error. Lots of excuses. Lots of mental ping-pong. It’s exhausting & I’m tired of it. And if you’ve ever been on any sort of diet & you’re struggling to lose weight you’ll know what I mean. Be better today than yesterday. Just do that. Until next time, have a fabulous weekend. Love xo.
- 3.5 oz (100g) dark chocolate, broken up ( I used Lindt 80%)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup hemp seed hearts, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- Melt chocolate & oil or butter in a microwave safe dish, uncovered, on 100% power, for 1 minute; stir. Continue to melt chocolate at 20 second increments until it’s melted. Or, place a heatproof bowl with chocolate & oil, over small saucepan of simmering water for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until chocolate is just melted. Remove from heat and continue stirring until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add honey, cherries, almonds, flaked coconut & 1/3 cup hemp seeds; stir until combined.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of mixture onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds. Chill for 30 minutes or until set. Store in a large jar in the fridge. Makes about 24.