When I moved from Minnesota to Florida I stupidly threw away the slow cooker, thinking I rarely used it living in the frozen tundra, I sure wasn’t going to use it living in a sauna. I was wrong. Not only is it perfect for making my bi-monthly batches of chicken stock but it’s handy as… And there’s something almost smug in knowing you’ve got dinner almost done, regardless of what your day throws at you.
It’s a chunk of meat & hard to make look pretty but plonk it onto a serving plate & add some greenery in the form of avocado, diced onion, cheese or whatever you fancy. in little dishes or a serving plate & let people add what they want. And if you have leftover, this pot roast freezes for another meal.
You want the meat to be so tender you can break it apart with a fork but you don’t want it so it’s falling apart. Does that make sense? I hope so.
Serve it with tostadas, in tacos or with soft tortillas. Or if you’re low carbing, throw together a nice green salad. Dinner done!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lb (1.4kg) chuck beef pot roast, large chunks of fat removed
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salsa (homemade or store-bought)
- 14oz (400g) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 to 3 diced jalapenos
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Sliced avocado, diced red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeno, queso fresco
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Brown the roast on both sides for about 5 minutes or until golden; remove from pan and place in a large slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic, chili powder, paprika & cumin to the same pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until spices are fragrant; add to slow cooker.
- Add salt, salsa, tomatoes & jalapenos. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (or on high for 6 hours) or until meat is very tender & can be pulled apart with forks but still holds its shape.
- Sprinkle cilantro & lime juice over meat.
- Break meat into pieces to serve. Serve with the juice mixture from the slow cooker. Top with avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeno & queso if desired. Serves 6 to 8.
- Note: The pot roast can be made ahead of time: Let the pot roast cool & store in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. Scrape any fat from the top before reheating either in the slow cooker or microwave oven.